Gourmet Experiences for Every Budget!
Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Audi is showcasing 50 events around the extraordinary region making sure that their is something for everyone!
- Gourmet Village at Leeuwin Estate
- Sunset Beats & Bites at White Elephant Café
- Yoga in the Vines at Watershed Winery
- The Official Gourmet Escape Closing Party
- Twilight Cape Cultural Tours at Cape Naturaliste
- Feast in the Forest
- The Great Soiree at Fraser Gallop
- A World of Difference: Dinner at Arimia Estate
- Regional Flavours at Amelia Park Winery Restaurant
- Some Like It Hot: Thai Banquet at Wise Winery
WINE LOVERS & LUXURY SEEKERS
- Cape Mentelle International Cabernet Tasting & Long Lunch
- Cullen Wines 32nd International Chardonnay Tasting
- The High Life
Tickets still available to these exciting and versatile events, so to avoid missing out head to Ticketek to book now.
Top tips to celebrate Australia Day in the truest of blue ways!
Australia Day is an opportunity for us all to come together and have a good old time together whilst remembering how lucky we are to live in our secret little haven that we like to call home. When it comes to 26 January, there is only one real way to celebrate the people, terrain and diversity that makes Australia, Australia – A party filled with all things that represent this grand land!
Here are our top tips to remember when organizing a party for all your friends to remember –
Tip One – The Classic Aussie BBQ
Get the tongs out and fire up the barbie with some quality sausages from your local butcher and give the classic Bunnings sausage sizzle a run for its money. Do not forget the tomato sauce and sautéed onions to take it to that next level. If you’re feeling inventive and a little more gourmet for the occasion, check out our event opener Curtis Stones, quick and easy recipes for the BBQ.
Tip Two – A playlist to remember
After hearing directly from the Australian public the Triple J top 100 will be announcing the countdown the day after Australia Day, but not only does this mean two days filled with some rocking tunes but it also gives you the chance to create your own killer Aussie Anthems Playlist. If you are unsure where to start, we have a few classics you cannot miss – Down Under by Men at Work, You’re the Voice by John Farnham, Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool and OF COURSE The Horses by Daryl Braithwaite!
Tip Three – Drinks for the Occasion
We have to be real with you, the drink of Australia may be beer but if a beer is not your thing, give these Aussie inspired cocktails by Mr & Mrs Romance a try – they are sure to not disappoint. P.S. if we are lucky enough to have a day filled with memorable Aussie sun, remember to keep hydrated – you will have a whole weekend to keep the celebrations going.
Tip Four – Aussie spirit is contagious
Be an advocate of all things Australian – bucket hats, Australian flags, temporary tattoos or even a Kangaroo Onesie…Be inventive! If you have any items with Australian flare bring it along because it is bound to keep the party in full spirit.
And on that note, our last tip is to bring along your positive attitude and have a great time!
AND THAT’S A WRAP 2017!
This year has marked our sixth year, and saw us joined by over 50 of the world’s leading food and wine personalities including Curtis Stone, to celebrate the Margaret River wine regions 50th anniversary through a record number of events.
Curtis officially opened the festival with our hallmark event, the Audi Gourmet Beach BBQ on Castle Rock Beach, and reflected on his brief time back in Western Australia, where it all began: “I had an absolutely brilliant time in Margaret River. It’s a testament to the region that this truly outstanding event continues to attract the very best international culinary talent, it’s a world class event that needs to be on everyone’s bucket list.”
The world-renowned father and son duo, Rick and Jack Stein confirmed their love affair with WA and its premium produce, taking part in the festival for the 5th time. They both thrilled fans at the Gourmet Village, during Ricks ever-popular book signing while Jack teamed up with former pro surfer Taj Burrow for a “surf and turf” main stage talk.
Rick said this year’s event was hard to top because he had Jack by his side. “He keeps me in line,” he said.
Joining these Global Superstars at the festival this year was an enviable line up of new and returning food and wine talent, including chefs from the World’s Best Restaurants* Andre Chiang (#14 Restaurant Andre, Singapore), Alex Atala (#16 D.O.M., Brasil), David Thompson (#28 Nahm, Thailand), Ashley Palmer-Watts (#36 Dinner by Heston, UK) and Rodolfo Guzman (#42 Borago, Chile), World’s Best Female Chef Ana Roš (Hiša Franko, Slovenia) and Asia’s Best Female Chef May Chow (Little Bao, Hong Kong). They cooked alongside a raft of local and Australian talent, forming bonds likely to create meaningful business and personal relationships for years to come.
Passionate festival goers who visited The Gourmet Village at Leeuwin Estate got up close and personal with their chef idols at demonstrations & book signings, sipped their way through acclaimed and emerging wineries and got hands on in the Lurpak Cookery School. Many local producers used the opportunity to showcase new and emerging products to grow awareness and get new audiences excited about what they’ve created. The added music program created a great vibe and set the scene for an amazing weekend.
Over a breathtaking four days, organisers, chefs and personalities were raving non-stop as this year being the best event to date, some highlights include –
- Back for the third time, Brazilian chef, Alex Atala, described Margaret River and the food and wine experience as “next level” to what he’s experienced around the world
- Larry Cherubino of Larry Cherubino Wines cellar door said feedback has been really positive. “I loved that the guest chefs were front and centre in the kitchen. I enjoyed our first foray into Gourmet Escape a lot. The event gave us some great ideas for next year and we’ll definitely do it again.”
- Seth James of Wills Domain on working with Andre Chiang – “It was an honour to cook with him and experience delivering Andre’s Octaphilosophy at Wills Domain. “All of the eight elements resonate with our unique Margaret River environment and we got to showcase the best of local produce in our collaboration. It was a memorable night for everyone in the room.
- Chef Kirk Westaway from Singapore visited Gourmet Escape and Margaret River for the first time and said it was an incredible location. “The food and ingredients have been amazing and it’s an exciting place to be. All of the food I use in Singapore right now is based on European seasons, so it’s in the reverse here. The freshness of the vegetables and the flavour contrasts I’ve had here compared to what’s available in Singapore (which comes from all over the world) is really special. I’d like to return to Singapore with a lot more involvement in Australian produce,” he said.
- Wine personality, Nick Stock – “What a beautiful way to close out the 2017 Gourmet Escape festival in beautiful Margaret River. 28 tastings and talks, three beach parties and the most fun I’ve had in all the six years”.
Tickets available at Visitor Centre
Heading down to Margaret River Gourmet Escape this weekend? There are still tickets available to some of our incredible events including the Sunday Audi Beach BBQ sessions and access to the heart of the festival, the Gourmet Village.
Advance ticket sales through Ticketek have now closed so for access to the best remaining tickets for this weekend’s event head to the Margaret River Visitor Centre.
100 Bussell Highway, Margaret River
Open daily 9.00am to 5.00pm
The Colour of Summer is PINK!
Visitors to Gourmet Escape will be the first in Australia to try the new Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic Water, adding a splash of pink to the classic Gin and Tonic this summer.
Inspired by a historic recipe used by the Royal Navy in the 19th Century, and using the highest quality angostura bark sourced from South America, the Aromatic Tonic can be enjoyed in a Pink G&T or as a sophisticated soft drink on its own.
Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic will be available in selected bars and bottle stores across Australia after Gourmet Escape.