Lilydale’s Buffalo Chicken Burger
Buffalo Chicken Burger by Lilydale Free Range Tribe member, Hayden Quinn
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Chicken & Breadings
- 6 x Lilydale Free Range Chicken thigh fillets, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sunflower oil, to deep fry
Carrot & Celery Slaw
- 2 carrots, peeled, julienned*
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced on angle
- 1 tbs white vinegar
Blue Cheese Mayonnaise
- 60g blue cheese, crumbled into small pieces
- 1 cup Hellmans mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 bottle Franks Red Hot Sauce*
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 x seeded brioche buns, toasted
- 8 slices burger cheese
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
Optional to serve
- Fries, cooked as per packet instructions
- Extra blue cheese mayonnaise
- Extra buffalo sauce
- Prepare the buttermilk by adding paprika and egg, mix well to combine, place chicken into a large bowl and pour over buttermilk. Combine the flours and salt in a large bowl. One at a time, remove chicken thighs from buttermilk and then dredge chicken through flour, coating well, using your hands, push chicken into flour mix to cover completely, flip and repeat. Place breaded chicken on a wire rack until time to cook. Repeat for all chicken thighs.
- Heat oil in a large heavy based pot or deep fryer to 180C. In batches, cook chicken for 5-8 mins until golden and cooked through. Set on wire rack to drain any excess oil. Place two slices of cheese on top of chicken to melt. Repeat.
- While cooking chicken, make blue cheese mayonnaise. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl beating well to bring together. Cover and place in fridge until needed.
- Make your carrot and celery slaw by combining all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Toss well.
- To make the buffalo sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan over a gentle heat. Add garlic powder and hot sauce and whisk well to combine. Keep warm.
- Assemble the burger with lashings of blue cheese mayo, followed by a layer of lettuce and slaw. Next place two pieces of fried chicken on top of one and other and drizzle generously blue cheese mayo and buffalo sauce, top with the seeded brioche bun.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- If you want some extra spice and heat on your burger, add chilli powder to the breading mix.
- Julienned is a cutting technique where you cut into matchsticks. This can be easily done with a “julienne peeler”.
- Franks Red Hot sauce can be found in all major supermarkets or online.
Lilydale is a proud sponsor of this year’s Margaret River Gourmet Escape presented by Westpac and you can enjoy their tasty chicken at Gourmet Village
Check out some more delicious Lilydale Chicken recipes here