Lilydale Chicken Casserole
By Western Australia Lilydale Free Range Ambassador Tony Howell
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
6 Lilydale chicken thighs
2 Shallots, diced
4 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 Carrot, diced
3 Sprigs of Thyme
2 Bay leaves
1 litre Chicken stock
Quartered Button Mushrooms
Handful Broad beans, blanched
Handful fresh peas
6 Asparagus spears
2 knobs butter chilled
1. Heat olive oil in a casserole dish.
2. Seal the chicken on all sides, remove and set aside
3. Add shallots, garlic, carrot and mushrooms into the casserole and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato and cook for another 4 minutes on medium-low heat, until there’s colour showing on the vegetables.
5. Add now the chicken thighs, herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cover with stock and bring to boil. Turn down the heat and simmer till cooked – this will take approximately 20 minutes.
6. Now add the spring vegetables – peas, broad beans and asparagus. These will only need a few minutes.
7. Just before serving, add the butter to thicken and smoothen texture. This dish is served fantastically with a creamy mash!