Margaret River’s Outdoor Adventures
Margaret River boats over 200 incredible wineries and an abundance of food offerings, however, did you know that its surf beaches, lush forests and ancient underground cave systems offer the perfect escape for Outdoor Adventures too. Concrete Playground has released an ultimate guide for thrill seekers visiting the region with exciting adventures that will get you outside and in touch with nature in the Margaret River region, including:
- Exploring the limestone caves of Leeuwin Naturaliste Ridge
- Abseiling down the seaside cliffs with Margaret River Climbing Co
- Treking the Cape Naturaliste to Sugarloaf Rock walk
- A sunset canoe ride along the Margaret River
- Seeing the region from above during a scenic helicopter flight
Click HERE to see the Concrete Playground’s article on Margaret Rivers outdoor adventures.
Margaret River Wine Region ‘Unearthed’
Wine Unearthed is a brand new podcast series which explores the lauded Margaret River region. It gets beneath the region’s skin and helps listeners understand why Lonely Planet named this special part of Western Australia as its top destination in the Asia Pacific for 2019.
The free-to-listen series reveals how wine connects to Aboriginal custodians, big wave surfers and mountain bikers, shares local love stories that have led to surprising collaborations, investigates family dynamics, celebrity interactions and the human instinct to succeed, and looks at the pivotal role the area’s extraordinary natural environment plays. Led by food and wine journalist, Fleur Bainger, and joined by wine connoisseur and author, Peter Forrestal, the stories focus on the locals who live and breathe winemaking every day in the much-loved South-West region of Australia.
Ms. Bainger says story telling with audio moves listeners in a way print, television and online can’t. “By purely listening, you sense a person’s feelings – be it passion or pain, laughter or tears – you hear their characterful personalities, and even detect their physical movements. To me, it’s so powerful.”
“The sounds of Margaret River itself create really rich mind pictures. The crash of waves, the snap of vines, the wind rushing through tall, native trees and the glug of wine being poured are all incredibly evocative. If I close my eyes, I’m right back there, capturing them all with a microphone in hand” Ms Bainger says.
In the podcasts, listeners learn that wine isn’t just about flavours, varietals, and food-pairing. It’s about the blood, sweat and tears that go into every vintage season, and the broader landscape surrounding that perfect drop. The factors making Margaret River a unique location for growing grapes is also explored.
Peter Forrestal said the podcasts are a ‘revelation’ and unleash so much information about Margaret River, most of which is unknown and fascinating. “This is Margaret River upclose and unearthed: it as though the surface about what we know about the region has been scraped away to uncover unexpected depths. It doesn’t matter how much or how little you know about the region, these podcasts will hold your attention. And be a cause of delight”
JUST ANNOUNCED: New Events Released
Guests are invited to design their own foodie adventure at Western Australia Gourmet Escape presented by Westpac with a range of mouth-watering new culinary experiences just announced.
From a four-course dinner with Pierre Koffmann at Bistro Guillaume or a Momofuku collaboration at the two-hatted Yarri Restaurant, to a “hardcore carnivore” feast over fire, or a meet-and-greet (over wine) with Marco Pierre White, there’s something on the menu for everyone.
The eight new events announced today include:
- Three highly anticipated dinner collaborations, featuring some of Perth’s best restaurants and the world’s most renowned culinary talent – An Evening with Pierre Koffmann at Bistro Guillaume (Wed 13 Nov), Santini Presents The Sicilian Job (Thurs 14 Nov) and Redefining Modern Australian: Cloudstreet x Wildflower presented by Singapore Airlines (Mon 11 Nov)
- Tex-Mex Takeover at Mandoon Estate presented by Australian Good Meat (Fri 8 Nov)
- Back by popular demand, Fraser Gallop Estate Friday Long Lunch (Fri 15 Nov)
- 5 Hats Lunch: Momofuku Seiōbo x Yarri presented by Australian Good Meat (Sat 16 Nov)
- Wine & Sign with Marco Pierre White (Sat 9 & Sun 10 Nov) at Gourmet Feast in the Valley.
- Wine & Swine with Colin Fassnidge at the Gourmet Village (Sun 17 Nov)
TICKETS ON SALE 4PM AEST (2PM AWST) TUESDAY 10 SEPTEMBER
Journey to Gourmet Escape Melbourne
We’re taking Gourmet Escape on the road to Melbourne giving you the possibility to experience the essence of the extraordinary festival of food and drink, before it takes place in Western Australia this November.
Journey to Gourmet Escape is your “entrée” to what’s planned in our amazing 2019 festival program!
Join renowned Australian chef Scott Pickett, Gage Roads, a WA red meat farmer and legendary host Sofia Levin for an evening celebrating the glorious produce from Western Australia.
Tickets include five specially curated courses all matched with beers from Gage Roads Brewing Co
Date: Thursday 26 September | 6:30PM
Location: Matilda 159 Domain | 159 Domain Rd, South Yarra VIC 3141
Price: $153 per person
Menu coming soon
Father’s Day Gift Ideas
Father’s day is around the corner and we’ve got THE guide to help you find the perfect gourmet gift for Dad to Western Australia Gourmet Escape presented by Westpac (8-17 November)!
Book your dad the ultimate escape to Western Australia with events that cater to every type of dad. From your foodie dad to your wine connoisseur, BBQ enthusiast or the music buff, check out the recommended events below.
The Whole Package
For the ultimate experience book dad a whole weekend away with packages available in Margaret River:
- Beach and Wines Package – includes tickets to the Westpac Gourmet Beach BBQ and the Gourmet Village
- Margaret River Weekender – includes tickets to Sunset Beats & Bites and the Gourmet Village
Also need to book flights and accommodation? Create Dad’s dream holiday with one of our trusted travel partners.
Is your Dad a wine connoisseur? Check out our events which feature world-class wines paired with exquisite food featuring fresh regional produce from Margaret River:
- Cape Mentelle International Cabernet Tasting and Long Lunch
- Cullen Wines Chardonnay Tasting & Lunch
- Leeuwin Estate Art Series Dinner with Pierre Koffmann
Find the perfect event for dads who are barbeque-lovers with moveable feasts over fire and master butchery:
- Gourmet Feast in the Valley (Swan Valley)- featuring The Feast Fire Pit presented by Australian Good Meat
- Safari Club Cookout (Margaret River)
Sun. Sand. Surf. Have your beach dads relax at our signature festival events:
Gift a gift the whole family can enjoy with kids activities and entertainment:
Join dad with the ultimate dining soundtrack with Aussie alt-rock favourites The Rubens and beachside parties starring great tunes!
- Gourmet Feast in the Valley (Swan Valley)- featuring the Music Stage
- Sunset Beats & Bites (Margaret River)