A Fool Proof Roast Chicken to Celebrate Father’s Day
To celebrate Father’s Day this weekend, we caught up with Chef Colin Fassnidge to ask what it’s like to be in the kitchen with his kids and his fool proof Roast Chicken Recipe.
What’s your favourite thing about cooking with your kids in the kitchen?
You have to modify the recipe to them, their tastes change on a regular basis. And they’re always right!
What’s the best cooking hack you’ve taught your kids?
To cook a chicken on a stale loaf of bread, which is now one of their staples
In what ways do you think your kids are like you?
Stubborn. Love food. Egos. And we’re all fighting the same same war against Jane/ Mum
What do your kids do in the kitchen that drives you crazy?
Bake, but they never clean up.
Why have you chosen the recipe below in particular to share with us for Father’s Day?
This is one of my best recipes ever, never had someone who doesn’t like it which is a rarity.
Chicken Bread Recipe
Prep time: approx. 30 minutes | Cooking time: 1hour and 20 minutes
1 1/4kg chicken
80g butter, softened
1 garlic bulb, smashed
1 good-quality sourdough loaf
1 potato, sliced
1 bunch basil
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch tarragon
300ml extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the whole lemon inside the chicken.
- Combine the butter and half the garlic, and slide under the skin on the breast and thighs. Smooth the skin to spread the butter mixture.
- Cut bread in half horizontally (set top half aside for other use). Slice the potato and arrange in a roasting pan for the bread to sit on. Put the bread onto the potato. Rip the herbs and scatter over the bread with the remaining garlic. Drizzle with half the oil, and season.
- Place the chicken on top of the bread. Drizzle the remaining oil over the chicken, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven to 140°C and cook a further 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 20 minutes.
- Break up the chicken on the bone and cut the bread into slices. Squeeze the cooked lemon over the chicken and bread to serve.
Image credit: Colin Fassnidge